Me

Me

Monday, July 8, 2013

Dad's 70th Birthday Surprise Trip (Part 1: Mon-Tues)

So as I revealed in yesterday's Sunday Social, I spent this past week at the beach with my family. I had alluded to it in a previous post, but couldn't say exactly where I'd be going. A year ago, my mom planned a trip to the beach for my dad's 70th birthday, and she wanted it to be a surprise for him, since it is a such a big milestone. My dad has 4 children, and we haven't all been together since his mom's funeral in 1995, so 18 years! So she planned for all of us to show up with our families and surprise him at a rented beach house for a week! The trip was scheduled for June 29-July 6, but unfortunately it happened to be the one weekend that Josh's mom had arranged to switch days with Morgan's mom so Morgan could be in a wedding, and the wedding was taking place on Sunday June 30. So we were unable to show up on Saturday, unless the two of us went without Morgan. But I really wanted her to go, because my niece Laura would be there, and the two girls got along so well at our wedding, I knew they'd have fun together. So we decided to show up on Monday July 1, and I asked everyone to pretend that Josh and I couldn't get enough paid time off from work to make the trip. That way, we could get in our own little surprise! So the plan was for my dad to think he and my mom were taking a trip with their friends to the beach, and then they would stop for some pizza on the way...when they walked into the restaurant, everyone would be there waiting! Thanks to traffic, the plans got a little skewed but that just meant he got to be surprised 4 times! First, they arrived at the restaurant, and my sister Cheryl and her husband Michael were there, along with their kids Brandon, Brittney, and Trevor. Then while they were eating, my sister Katie and her husband Scott walked in, with their kids Laura and Nicholas. They all went to the beach house and relaxed for the night, then Sunday morning my brother Andrew and my sister-in-law Meredith showed up, and lastly, on Monday afternoon Josh, Morgan, and I all walked in! So it ended up working out really well.

My parents provided breakfast and lunch foods, and then each family was scheduled to provide dinner for the group one night of the week. We left Leesburg around 5:30am on Monday, and stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrel on the way. Then we arrived in Frisco, NC about 12:30pm after driving through some on and off downpours...the forecast all week was rain, and this was not a promising start! But luckily, the sun came out when we arrived, and stayed out for the rest of the week. We didn't do much that first day, just hung out around the house and then went grocery shopping; we were scheduled to make dinner the first night. Lucky for us, since we have enough trouble cooking for two, Stouffer's came through and we were able to make a meal to serve 13. If you're on my Facebook, you've probably seen my beach album so I'll just provide a couple of pictures from each day.












 On Tuesday, Josh, Morgan, Laura, and I took the ferry to Okracoke Island for some lunch, shopping, and ice cream! We got a quick downpour but it cleared up just in time for us to get back to the house and relax before yummy Mexican food for dinner! Even though we had delicious burritos for lunch at Gringo's Tacos, you can never have too much Mexican food in one day! After dinner, Josh and I relaxed in the hot tub with some wine....but of course Morgan had to get some hot tub time in as well!














We did so much on each day, I'll just make this Part 1, and I'll post about the rest of the week in another blog entry (or entries)! But the week definitely got off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment